In operating system, we have three types of schedulers-
- Long Term Scheduler(Job Term Scheduler)
- Short Term Scheduler(CPU Scheduler)
- Mid Term Scheduler(Medium Term Scheduler)
- Long Term Scheduler(LTS)- It is responsible for creating and bringing the new processor into the system.
- Short Term Scheduler(STS)- It is responsible for selecting one of the process from ready state onto scheduling to run state.
- Mid Term Scheduler(MTS)- it is responsible for suspending and resuming the process. The job done by MTS is called swapping.
- Spooles- It is a special software to create job queue.
- Dispatches- It is responsible for saving and loading the context of the process. The context switching will be done by dispatches. It is a slave of short term scheduler. Time spent on swapping of context switching is called switching time or dispatch letancy. It is as much as reduce.
- Operating system process- e.g schedulers, they are the processes written in operating system.
- User process- e.g C programs / java programs.